Re: No upgrade after pull, and Guix philosophy (was: readline problem)

From: Wiktor Żelazny
Subject: Re: No upgrade after pull, and Guix philosophy (was: readline problem)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 20:16:34 +0100

On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 09:53:14AM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> Wiktor Żelazny <wz@freeshell.de> writes:
>
> > This sounds rather brittle: you need to keep things in your head.
>
> I don’t follow.  I don’t see what you’re referring to as “brittle” and
> what you need to keep in your head.

When upgrading your packages you need to remember every time which ones
you want to keep at their current versions (in the broad sense) and, to
my understanding, juggle with regexpes, so that they’re excluded from an
upgrade. What if you upgrade them by accident? How do you roll-back and
how do you know to which corresponding Guix commit you should roll-back
to?

A manifest would let you be more organized. You can put comments there,
you can manage it with version control.

WŻ