Re: No upgrade after pull, and Guix philosophy (was: readline problem)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: No upgrade after pull, and Guix philosophy (was: readline problem)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 09:53:14 +0100

Wiktor Żelazny <wz@freeshell.de> writes:

>> There are also good reasons why you wouldn’t want to upgrade your
>> default profile every time you upgrade Guix.  Software in your default
>> profile may not actually build with the current version of Guix, or you
>> are perfectly happy with the version you have installed, or for
>> reproducibility reason you really want to stay with the current
>> well-known versions and only add a new independent tool…
>
> This sounds rather brittle: you need to keep things in your head.

I don’t follow.  I don’t see what you’re referring to as “brittle” and
what you need to keep in your head.

> Wouldn’t it be nicer to have manifests support an additional
> (optional) field, viz. guix commit corresponding to given package, and
> manage your profile using that explicit manifest file? Or aren’t
> inferiors suitable for such purpose?

You can manage your profile with a manifest; in fact, we recommend
that.  But it’s not mandatory, and that’s key here.  Manifests aren’t
always the best fit.

And yes, you can use inferiors in your manifest to build a profile made
of packages from different versions of different channels explicitly.

--
Ricardo