Re: Running graphical apps with guix shell --container

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Running graphical apps with guix shell --container
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 16:01:40 +0000

On Friday, January 28th, 2022 at 3:22 PM, Luis Felipe
<luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, January 28th, 2022 at 7:42 AM, Daniel Meißner
> daniel.meissner-i4k@ruhr-uni-bochum.de wrote:

> > Maybe for your example (I couldn't check since I didn't find any package
> > called mazo or python-mazo) this would work:
>

> Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned that "mazo" is an application I'm
> writing. It's not in Guix yet.
>

> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> > guix shell -C --preserve='^DISPLAY$' --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$' \
> > --expose=$XAUTHORITY
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>

> Unfortunately, this didn't work. I got the same result as before.

I managed to launch the app by mixing the command above with some parts of the
command used in another message about the same subject
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-07/msg00012.html). So this
worked:

EXAMPLE:
guix shell -C -E "^DISPLAY$" -E "^XAUTHORITY$" --expose="$XAUTHORITY"
--share=/tmp/.X11-unix/ --share=$HOME/.Xauthority
END EXAMPLE

But I'm just typing things without much consideration and hoping for the best
:) For example, the application now starts but it has no icons. So I guess I'll
go find some information about all the fundamental variables and resources
required by GTK apps to run.