Re: readline problem

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: readline problem
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 20:45:51 +0100

Wiktor Żelazny <wz@freeshell.de> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 03:51:35PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>>
>> Wiktor Żelazny <wz@freeshell.de> writes:
>>
>> > Hey, this sounds just like the problem I reported earlier this
>> > month.
>>
>> Can you please tell us the issue number?
>
> I did not file an issue as I wasn’t sure if that was a bug. I’m talking
> about the “"libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found" with guix
> time-machine --channels” thread on this mailing list, started on January
> 8th.

Oh, okay.  I thought there had been a bug report with a discussion I
missed.

>> Builds are isolated, of course, but it’s common that people who don’t
>> use manifests end up building a profile that consists of a colorful
>> mosaic of packages from different versions of Guix.
>>
>>   guix install foo
>>   guix pull
>>   guix install bar
>>   guix pull
>>   guix install baz
>
> I suppose that this problem does not arise if `guix package -u` is run
> after each `guix pull`?

It should not happen then, correct.

Though I have had reports from confused users at work who say that “guix
upgrade” doesn’t necessarily help, and that they actually had to use
“guix install” on all packages again.  I haven’t been able to confirm
this yet.

--
Ricardo