Re: manifest.scm - Howddya get specific commit 4 package?

From: Niklas Schmidt
Subject: Re: manifest.scm - Howddya get specific commit 4 package?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 19:19:58 +0000

Hello Jacob,

I would like to point you to the section 2.1.5.3 Inheritance of the cookbook:
https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/guix-cookbook.html#Inheritance

There it says:

  All unspecified fields are inherited from the parent package. This is
  very convenient to create alternative packages, for instance with
different source, version or compilation options. So I usually create my own package module, specify a new package that inherits the package I'm interested in and give it another unique name, say my-freecad. Then I specify my-freecad in the manifest and use the -L or --load-path= flag with the file system path of own package module to invoke guix package, guix shell, and so on.

Hope that get's you somewhere.

To be exact, I have not used this technique for obtaining a package a specific commit, but for different versions. I see no reason it wouldn't work for this scenario as well, though.

Greetings
Niklas