Re: Guix system build fails on Aarch64

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Guix system build fails on Aarch64
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 01:31:35 -0800

Hi phodina,

phodina <phodina@protonmail.com> writes:

> could you please help me fix the failing test for gremlin in
> tests/gremlin.scm (file-needed/recursive) on Aarch64?
>
> I've tried to understand what the gremlin project is and what this
> test is supposed to do but couldn't come up with a solution other than
> to skip the test.
>
> Log attached, failed test is on line 10999.

A bug report has been opened for this issue here:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52943

I commented on that bug report because the test was failing on
powerpc64le-linux for unrelated reasons, and I was investigating that
separate powerpc64le-linux issue.  I'm not sure what the problem is on
aarch64-linux.  You can find my summary here:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52943#11

Skipping the test, or changing it so it passes on aarch64-linux without
changing the behavior of gremlin, is certainly one option.  However,
doing so would be the same as saying, "It is OK that, on aarch64-linux,
ld-linux-aarch64.so is missing from ELF files, even though it is not
missing on other architectures."  However, I don't know if that's
normal, so I can't say confidently whether it's OK.

I can think of at least the following things that someone could do to
investigate more:

- Ask the glibc folks on one of their email lists if this situation
  looks normal (a NEEDED entry for ld-linux-aarch64.so is missing from
  the dynamic section of an ELF file, but ldd prints
  ld-linux-aarch64.so, anyway).  Maybe they can give us a direct answer
  about whether or not it is normal.

- Inspect ELF files of dynamically linked binaries on the aarch64 port
  of other distros, such as Debian or Fedora, and reply to the bug
  report with information about whether ld-linux-aarch64.so is present
  (see the bug report for examples of how to invoke objdump or readelf
  to see the dynamic section of an ELF file).  If it's missing, then
  does ldd print it when invoked on the ELF file?  This could at least
  tell us if it's common for ld-linux-aarch64.so to be missing in ELF
  files, and for ldd to add it even though it's missing.

- Inspect the glibc source code to determine why it adds
  ld-linux-aarch64.so even though there is no NEEDED entry for it in the
  dynamic section of the ELF file.  This could help us to understand
  what's going on and whether it's a problem.

If you want to help with any of those tasks, or if you have any other
ideas, your help would be welcome.  Please remember to update the bug
report if you do so.

--
Chris

PGP: https://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=106836