Re: Web development on Guix: nodejs, npm and all that

From: Remco
Subject: Re: Web development on Guix: nodejs, npm and all that
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:02:24 +0100

> So, how do people program for the Web, Node on Guix. Does =npm
> install= which defaults to local installation work well enough for
> most packages? An outline of what to expect and known problems and
> workarounds would be very useful.

Hi, a couple of the projects I work on depend on Node but I never ever
install npm packages globally.  I setup most of my project development
environments using direnv and the node projects have an extra entry to
make the installed commands available:

  PATH="$(expand_path node_modules/.bin):$PATH"

I haven't encountered any npm package which doesn't work when not
installed globally yet and it seems to me that would be a bug in said
package.

Anyway, direnv really shines with guix!  It also includes a use_guix
statement to add deps using guix environment but I prefer to use
profiles instead because they are garbage collection resistant and avoid
new installs after I did a guix pull.

Cheers,
Remco