Re: Commit of currently installed package?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Commit of currently installed package?
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 18:42:38 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 at 17:02, <t@fullmeta.me> wrote:

> At one point I installed emacs-next --with-branch=master. Well,

[...]

> --export-manifest is approximate and doesn't even give package
>   versions. Even if I start playing games with --export-channels
>   or Scheme %current-profile => manifest => lookup in inferior
>   that would still find whatever guix repo commit had for
>   emacs-next, not what I actually have installed.

No, you cannot know.  Well, that information is not stored by Guix,
AFAIK.  Indeed, it could nice, instead of the current "guix package
--export-manifest":

(use-modules (guix transformations))

(define transform1
  (options->transformation
    '((with-branch . "emacs-next=master"))))

(packages->manifest
  (list (transform1
          (specification->package "emacs-next"))))

To replace 'master' by the commit used.

As a workaround, if it is recent enough (not removed by
last-expiry-cleanup ;-)), the temporary Emacs checkout could be still
there. :-)  Give a look at ~/.cache/guix/checkouts/ and probably
5buqmtmwqjycqg4thcbrvijjn74pijwvjy7ueikyoln7r7d7q6kq.

Hope that helps,
simon