Re: Foreign distro Unity desktop broken after guix update

From: Fredrik Salomonsson
Subject: Re: Foreign distro Unity desktop broken after guix update
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 01:11:29 +0000

Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de> writes:

> I since learned that setting the paths like that makes the Ubuntu-side
> work, but guix stuff will fail. Gnucash bails out, Inkscape segfaults
> and GIMP runs without toolbox icons. Also, with a bit of thought,
> GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE must point to one file; it can’t be a chain of
> paths.
>
> Thus at the very least GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE must be one thing for
> Ubuntu and another for guix. Short of running all guix-installed stuff
> from a terminal after setting the variable there, is there any
> solution?

Perhaps create a local copy of the .desktop file for each guix
controlled application and modify it to set the correct environment
variables?

I've done that for certain applications where I needed to add custom
arguments to the command for it to scale properly with my monitors. I
placed mine in $HOME/.local/share/applications aka
$XDG_DATA_HOME/applications

> I also found out that plain `gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders` resolves to the
> guix version. The Ubuntu version resides at
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders
>
> My current theory is that this pixbuf-mixup has been going on for
> longer, but only a recent guix update made stuff incompatible. In
> addition, some caching might complicate matters.

That sounds very likely. I had a similar issue with python, where my
foreign distro updated to python-3.10 but guix is still on 3.9. Things
started breaking as I had missed to move everything to guix.

> Thank you for your thoughts, Fredrik!

No problem, I hope you can sort it out.

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g