Re: Guix System on Pine64's Quartz64?

From: phodina
Subject: Re: Guix System on Pine64's Quartz64?
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 11:06:45 +0000

Hi Mekeor,

On Wednesday, December 22nd, 2021 at 9:00 PM, Mekeor Melire <mekeor@posteo.de>
wrote:

> Hello Guix,
>
> the manufacturer Pine64 offers a single-board computer called Quartz64
>
> (AARCH64 architecture and up to 8GB memory). Is it possible to run Guix
>
> System on it? Does anybody have experience with this?
>
> Goodbye
>
> Mekeor

Yes, it's possible. I'm running Guix on foreign distro (Manjaro ARM). See the
console output.

You can get the image for the board here [1].
Also in the latest blog post [2] the dedicate section to Quartz64:

    Linux 5.15 brings Quartz64 device tree
    Quartz64 now outputs video via HDMI at 1080p 60hz for now; audio out via
SPDIF also works out of the box
    GPU works using the Panforst open driver
    Tianocore EDK II implemented and allows for full UEFI

I can tell the board now boots and the Sway session over HDMI works. Before a
month ago I was only able to get SSH connection.

Please follow the instructions in section on installing Guix [3].

Not sure how difficult it would be to run full Guix System there atm. Currently
I focus more on the PinePhone and Pinebook Pro.

$ uname -a
Linux quartz64-b 5.16.0-rc6-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 19 22:31:26
UTC 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux
$ guix describe
  guix a0178d3
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: a0178d34f582b50e9bdbb0403943129ae5b560ff

----
Petr

[1] https://github.com/manjaro-arm/quartz64-bsp-images/releases/tag/20211220
[2] https://www.pine64.org/2021/12/15/december-update-a-year-in-review/