Initialization of environment variables for guix on foreign distro

From: David Lecompte
Subject: Initialization of environment variables for guix on foreign distro
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 09:29:40 +0000

Hi everyone,

On Trisquel with mate on my laptop, when opening a mate terminal (the
command is just "mate-terminal", no option), all the suitable
environment variables for guix are set.

On Debian with mate on my desktop (I had problems with Trisquel that I
could not solve for one year so I am using Debian), when opening a mate
terminal, the suitable variables for guix are not set.

So I am searching how to fix that on the desktop with Debian.

On both computers, there is /etc/profile.d/guix.sh with the same
contents. On the desktop, "bash -l" sets all the environment variables
properly for guix properly, but I'd like to start programmes installed
by Guix from the mate menu too.

Does guix configure another file to set environment variables properly
or is /etc/profile.d/guix.sh the only one? Is it supposed to be
sufficient to source it via /etc/profile?

If sourcing /etc/profile is supposed to address all cases, what is the
recommended way to have it sourced? (on the laptop, I searched all .*
files in my home directory, none of them is sourcing /etc/profile).
That last question is not guix-specific but any advice is still
welcome.

Thanks,
David.