bootstrapping scenario for a package

From: Andy Tai
Subject: bootstrapping scenario for a package
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 23:03:25 -0800

Hi, I was trying to update mono to the current release version.  The
build step as documented actually says to download a minimal C#
compiler from the mono site which is then used to compile the rest of
the source to build the full system.   I looked and did not find the
source of this minimal compiler--so it is a black box in a way.

In free software it is ideal to build everything from source.   I
wonder how is such a package handled in Guix?   What is the strategy
for bootstrapping?   Thanks