Re: Printer configuration failed due to missing filters

From: Daniel Meißner
Subject: Re: Printer configuration failed due to missing filters
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 16:05:51 +0100

Hi Tobias!

Thank you for responding promptly.

> Can you confirm that the file printed by
>
>   $ ps auxwww | grep -o '/gnu/store/[^ ]*cups-files.conf'
>
> contains
>
>   DataDir /gnu/store/…-cups-server-bin/share/cups
>   ServerBin /gnu/store/…-cups-server-bin/lib/cups
>
> ?

Affirmative, this file contains those two lines.

> You should find lib/cups/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper under this
> ServerBin.

Aha! Yes, it is there, indeed.

>> Looking in the system profile I cannot find it: ‘find
>> /run/current-system/profile -name "epson-escpr-wrapper"’ shows no
>> results.  There is also no cups directory under
>> /run/current-system/profile/lib.  Am I missing something?
>
> Just that there's no reason for epson-escpr-wrapper to be anywhere
> in /run/current-system in the first place.  It should be in the
> union directory I mentioned above, and CUPS should find it there.

I see, I am very new to Guix, so I don't know the internals of Guix
really.  I naively assumed that I should find it in the system profile.

> I don't currently have access to an Epson printer, but I'll try to
> add one anyway.

That'd be awesome, thank you.

> See if you can divine any useful chunks from the puddle of vomit
> that CUPS produces when configured with:
>
>   (cups-configuration
>
>     (log-level 'debug2)
>     …)
>
> There's also (access-log-level 'all) but it's probably not
> relevant here.

Thanks for the hints, I will try to destill something from the logs.

Best
Daniel