Re: Status of GNOME?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Status of GNOME?
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 15:32:06 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 15:27, Alex via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:

> For quite long time (little less than year) I'm using Guix System as VM
> guest. I noticed that GNOME is still on 3.34. I assume that cause is lack of
> man power instead of technical obstacles, considering that other non-systemd
> distributions (like Gentoo for example) are on 3.40?

New version is coming soon.  After the merge of core-updates-frozen. :-)

> My question is: how can I help? What is the path to become contributor? To
> ask for guidance and mentorship is probably to much to ask, but some general
> directives are more than welcome.

You can run:

  guix pull --branch=core-updates-frozen

and upgrade your system.  Report the failures.  Note that it is
possible that substitutes are missing; maybe check using "guix
weather" the availability if you cannot or do not want to burn CPU.
:-)

Hope that helps,
simon