Re: Running Out of Inodes

From: phodina
Subject: Re: Running Out of Inodes
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 13:47:14 +0000

Hi Jonathan,

On Nov 14, 2021, 12:14 PM, Jaft via < help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:
Hey, hey.
It could very well be my own ignorance about things but I'm running into an
issue that I wouldn't think I'd run into so naïvely; if there's any further
light to be shed, I very much appreciate it.
I wanted to try out Guix so I installed it to a laptop I have; the previous
distro I had on there had been using a root partition of about 46G so I just
decided to keep the same partition setup (though reformatting each one).
About 17 packages in, I started getting a "No space left on device" error;
looking closer at it, – while I still had ~20% of free disk space available – I
was fresh out of free inodes. I remembered that someone I'd read, somewhere,
had said you'd probably want, at least, 50G for Guix so I figured I probably
shot myself in the foot with so small a root and just opted to reinstall.
This time, I deleted the home partition and the root one to create one 156G
partition for the entire install and figured that'd be sufficient (I've been
using ext4 for these, in case that information is relevant, any).
This time, though, I managed 21 packages before running into the same issue.
There's still 70% of the disk space free but I'm entirely out of free inodes;
leastwise, I was but I tried a guix gc, just to see what all got freed up, and,
now, I have 5% of all inodes free.
Is this relatively typical? I figured I hadn't done anything particularly out
of ordinary usage (Guix's new to me so I literally just did an install and then
started installing packages from the gnu channel).
Let me know if there's any further or more particular info. to include, if
that'd help; I just wouldn't know what to provide.
Thanks!
Jonathan

You might check this thread [1] as it's similar question. Unfortunately I'm
running on btrfs.

Hope it helps!

----
Kind regards