Re: Guix system with home-environment

From: Andrew Tropin
Subject: Re: Guix system with home-environment
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 10:35:12 +0300

On 2021-11-02 11:38, phodina wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just want to ask if it's possible to create an image which has both the
> operating-system and home-environment configuration together.
>
> Currently the way to build them is to do:
>
> ;; Guix System
> guix system build os.scm
>
> ;; Guix Home
> guix home build home.scm
>
> However, if I want to build and test a VM, I'm missing the home environment.
>
> Would it be the correct way to add additional record to user-account
> definition, which would instantiate the home-environment for the particular
> user?
>
> Or is there another way how to do that?
>
> Petr

Hi again!)

I have a plan to have a system service, which accepts list of pairs of
user name and home-environment and instantiates home environments for
these users during `guix system reconfigure`, but the task has a low
priority right now.  You can try to implement it yourself and send a
patch for review or can wait until someone will do it.

P.S. It doesn't have to be a separate service, maybe extending some
existing record with additional field will also work.

--
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin