GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH doesn't have priority over official guix packages

From: Tim Lee
Subject: GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH doesn't have priority over official guix packages
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 08:45:57 +0000

I have my own channel in a Git repository on my local computer.
This is what I do to search and install packages from my own channel:

$ cd /path/to/my-channel/
$ GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH=. guix search 'mypackage'
$ GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH=. guix install 'mypackage'

However, if there is a package with the same name in both my channel and
in the official guix channel, 'guix install' will install from the
official guix channel instead of my channel. Is this supposed to happen?
I thought that GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH is supposed to have priority over
the official guix channel?

I am currently working around this problem by specifying the version
number when installing. For example:

$ GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH=. guix install 'mypackage@1.2.3'