Re: openvpn ERROR: Cannot ioctl TUNSETIFF tun: Operation not permitted (

From: Jovany Leandro G.C
Subject: Re: openvpn ERROR: Cannot ioctl TUNSETIFF tun: Operation not permitted (errno=1
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 07:31:07 -0700

On 2021-10-13 10:51, Jelle Licht wrote:
> Hello Jovany,
>
> "Jovany Leandro G.C" <bit4bit@riseup.net> writes:
>
>> hi,
>> when i run **openvpn myfile.ovpn**, throws:
>>
>> ~~~
>> 2021-10-12 21:20:26 OpenVPN 2.5.4 x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL
>> (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Jan  1 1970
>> 2021-10-12 21:25:13 ERROR: Cannot ioctl TUNSETIFF tun: Operation not
>> permitted (errno=1)
>> 2021-10-12 21:25:13 Exiting due to fatal error
>> ~~~
> Note that I am by no means an OpenVPN expert, I have just used it a few
> times.
>
> For its normal operations, OpenVPN clients need a TUN/TAP device; AFAIK
> creating such devices require running with root permissions.
>
> You have several options here.
>
> The easiest 'fix' is to simply run `sudo openvpn myfile.ovpn`;
> everything should work, with always-on root privileges though.
>
> Run `sudo openvpn --user <youruser> --group <yourgroup> myfile.ovpn',
> which uses root privileges to set up things and then drops these
> privileges. If your connection gets interrupted, you might need to
> manually restart the command to set things up properly again.
>
> If you use Network Manager; there is a plugin for managing OpenVPN
> connections. In Guix this has been packaged as
> `network-manager-openvpn', and can be added to your operating system
> declaration if you run Guix System [1]
>
>> thanks any help
>> --
>> Jovany Leandro G.C
>
> HTH!
>  - Jelle
>
> [1]
> http://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Networking-Services.html#index-network_002dmanager_002dservice_002dtype

thanks,

using sudo works!

i try network-manager-openvpn when i add the file .ovpn
popup "Insufficient Privileges",

config.scm
~~~
(supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "dialout"
                        "audio" "video" "docker"))
(services (append (list (set-xorg-configuration
                         (xorg-configuration
                          (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))
                        (service docker-service-type))

                  (modify-services %desktop-services