repair broken boot record

From: Thomas Danckaert
Subject: repair broken boot record
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 09:43:18 +0200

Hello guix-help,

my system does not boot anymore after a guix pull and system reconfigure (which did show a warning, see below). It does not even enter the GRUB stage, I get a "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" instead. I think the MBR might not have been written correctly (just a hunch, I'm no expert...).

During reconfigure, I did get a warning that my bootloader configuration used 'target', which is apparently deprecated in favor of 'targets'. I wasn't paying too much attention, and ignored the warning.... I don't know if that could be the cause of a missing or incorrect boot record? (In that case, I suggest this warning should be an ERROR ;-) )

I checked using a live USB, and it seems the whole system is still there on the hard drive. Is there a way to restore my system, keeping the existing /gnu/store? Or do I have to reinstall from scratch, remove the existing /gnu/store and rebuild everything (shouldn't be too much work using Guix, but way less elegant :) )

Thank you!

Thomas