Re: Guix on the MNT Reform

From: Christine Lemmer-Webber
Subject: Re: Guix on the MNT Reform
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 14:10:32 -0400

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On 2021-09-08, Christine Lemmer-Webber wrote:
>> Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org> writes:
>>> Here this I'MX8 issue also affect the Librem5 for instance, and
>>> probably several other devices as well. And the neat thing about the
>>> Librem 5 is that as I understand is that the modem and the WiFi cards
>>> are removable.
>>
>> I am guessing the Pinephone has a similar issue (or more) though I'm not
>> sure.
>
> The Pinephone doesn't have that specific issue, as it's a different CPU
> (Allwinner A64), the same used on the pine64+ and pinebook, which are
> supported in Guix's u-boot. I vaguely recall those boards having similar
> types of issues early on requiring some binary blobs, but it was fixed
> in u-boot upstream with a free implementation!

Oh good news!  It's nice to hear of success stories like this.

Speaking of, the other "guix system image" thing on my queue was to work
on getting Guix running (if not usable as a phone) on my pinephone.

I tried:

  guix system image --image-type=pine64-raw pine64-barebones.scm

and flashing the output to an SD card, but that didn't boot (or if it
did, it didn't display anything on the screen).  So I assume some extra
work is necessary.

 - Christine