Re: pulling from my personal channel only - is this possible ?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: pulling from my personal channel only - is this possible ?
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 13:29:31 +0200

Hi,

For developing, my workflow looks like:

0  git clone http://git.a-rx.info/channel/ /tmp/channel
1  edit /tmp/channel/some-file.scm
2  guix build -L /tmp/channel ghc-filepatter
3  loop to 1 until I am satisfied
4  git -C /tmp/channel commit ...

then it depends on my mood to have http://git.a-rx.info/channel/
listed in my default channels file ~/.config/guix/channels.scm.  Well,
when I am tired to type '-L path/to/channel' then I add it and I run:

  guix pull

which allows then to simply do

  guix package -i ghc-filepattern -p path/to/profile

Does it make sense?

About "guix pull", yes it should appear slow.  But you cannot do more
than wait... although the situation is mitigated by [1].  (Optimizing
it is not as straightforward as it looks like at first because the
bottleneck are at various stages. :-)  For instance,
<http://issues.guix.gnu.org/39258#124>.)

Have you seen 'channel-with-substitutes-available' [1]?

1:
<http://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Channels-with-Substitutes.html#Channels-with-Substitutes>

All the best,
simon