Re: Issue about building python on a foreign distro

From: Wade Zhang
Subject: Re: Issue about building python on a foreign distro
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 06:29:18 +0800

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 9:19 PM zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:
> > pyenv allows you to set python version for your every project by putting a
> > `.python-version` file, and you can easily override the version with an
> > environment variable.  All you need to do is just setting your `PATH`.  I
> > think
> > it's very useful when you're working with multiple projects.
>
> Personally, I store the output of “guix describe -f channels” in say the
> file channel.scm and I list all the packages the project require in say
> the file manifest.scm.  Then I can exchange these 2 files are to produce
> an environment (temporary profile) or a profile.  For instance:
>
>   guix time-machine -C channels.scm -- environment -m manifest.scm
>
> or
>
>   guix time-machine -C channels.scm -- package -m manifest.scm -p profile
>
> It becomes really easy to work with multiple projects. :-)  Note that
> these 2 files are generally versioned with the whole project.  Even,
> sometime I have several channels.scm files and manifest.scm files for
> the same project in order to test.

These days I've learned Guix commands and packaging guides.  I've seen the
power of Guix.

I found that Guix has another advantage that It can manage any other
dependencies, for example curl or sqlite, if the project requires them.

But it's still weird that Guix cannot be used with non-Guix packages...

Anyway thank you for your advice.  I'll try it.

> The main drawback with the approach is the limitation to the Guix
> packages.  For instance, two versions of CPython, only.  It is really
> easy to use more packages from Conda for example.  I guess ’pyenv’
> provides similar thing.  But you loose on other side. :-)

Yes, pyenv can install all versions of CPython and other implementations.  It
seems that Guix just removes old releases.  Although IMO I can use the feature
called transformation.

> People use ’direnv’ with Guix to easily switch from context/project.
> Another story. :-)
>

> All the best,
> simon

Best Regards,