Re: guix pack and exposing ports

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: guix pack and exposing ports
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 10:20:38 +0200

Hi,

In addition to Edouard’s answer. ;-)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 at 21:00, Todor Kondić <tk.code@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I note I'm getting ~10 GiG image for a flimsy program depending
> on R and shiny. Somehow that doesn't feel right. :)

Well, it is a complicated topic. ;-)  One thing is to carefully examine
the graph and then identify unnecessary (potentially) dependencies,
i.e., somehow create variant packages where the graph is drastically
cut.  For instance, the package ’r-minimal’ brings TeXlive (mainly for
doc) and maybe it is not necessary for your use-case.  You can use “guix
size” to identify the items.

On the other hand, “guix pack” can be optimized.  For instance using
Docker layers, see:

  <https://storage.googleapis.com/nixdoc/nixery-layers.html>

Chris did some work in this direction, IIRC.  Maybe a patch is floating
around. :-)

All the best,
simon