Re: Making a DIY smart or dumb phone

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Making a DIY smart or dumb phone
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 12:56:33 -0400

Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org> writes:

> jbranso--- via writes:
>
>> I'm getting really tired of carrying my Android phone around with google's
>> spyware,
>
> This issue is larger than just Android / iOS and the applications a user
> deliberately uses.  There is also the issue of unwanted spyware.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pegasus_(investigation)>
>
> You could eliminating the issues mobile phones have entirely by choosing
> to not use a mobile phone.
>
> <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Going_NoPhone>

I used to do that!  I was nophone for a while, but then I became a
manager at work.  If someone does not show up for work, then they call
me.  I could give up my manager position or find a job that doesn't
require a way to reach me 24/7.

OR I could get a ham radio license...operate a radio tower somewhere
(for real cheap...though that might not be so cheap)...then if work
needs me, they can chat to me via that way...and my libre phone could
pick up the signal...though that might mean I'd have to learn some GNU
Radio, which would be fun!  This strategy is what JMP.chat wants to do
eventually.

>>  (apologies for the youtube link...)
>
> You could share Invidious links as well as YouTube links.  The YouTube
> links could be a backup in case the Invidious server linked to goes
> down.
>
> <https://docs.invidious.io/Invidious-Instances.md>
>
>> and unfortunately it needs to support SMS and traditional calls, so there
>> might be some binary blobs for the modem.
>
> You can do SMS using email.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateway#Email_clients>

Now that is awesome!  I will look into that.

> Maybe you could convince the people you want to talk to use free
> software like Jami.  For people who are physically nearby walkie talkies
> are an option.

I'm actually really excited about Jami!  It looks really promising!

Jami only works using wifi, as far as I know.  Sometimes I would like to
go to the park, which has no wifi.  Since work has to be able to reach
me 24/7 this won't quite work...again, I could give up my manager
position or get a different job.

> <https://jami.net/>
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkie-talkie>

Cheap ones only work 1-1.5 miles.  Sometimes I'm 30 miles away from
work.  But this is something to consider.  There are some expensive
walkie talkies that the military uses that work anywhere in the world.

--
Joshua Branson (jab in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus