Re: change package name

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: change package name
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 22:02:20 -0400

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 05:58:08PM -0700, Andy Tai wrote:
> Hi, I wonder if the receipt of an application has been in the guix package
> repo for some time, is there a way to rename it (while automatically
> updating existing installation to the new name)?
> The reason for this question is that I contributed package receipt to guix
> but now I think maybe the name used should be more specific.  Thanks

Yes, you can use deprecated-package:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/packages.scm?h=v1.3.0#n461

For example, as in commit 5225626ffcdc29a62e8e089abcbb3d304febd2f2:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=5225626ffcdc29a62e8e089abcbb3d304febd2f2

Installations of the deprecated package will be automatically "upgraded"
to the renamed package.