Re: Shebang and python packages

From: François J .
Subject: Re: Shebang and python packages
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 12:45:19 +0200

Hello,

On Fri, Jun 04, 2021 at 12:50:03AM +0200, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> Propagated-inputs are a hack that says as much as ‘when the user installs
> package A, pretend like they also asked to install package B in the same
> profile’.  That is *not* a good thing!  It's a work-around for broken
> packages and packages that would be far too much work to package in a more
> Guixy way.  Propagation causes all sorts of problems and makes profiles more
> fragile.  Avoid it.

Thank you for this explanation. I fighted a lot with the concept of
propagated inputs and this descriptions makes a lot of sense to me.

I am progressively thinking that propagated-input are used too much
in Guix packages. Python packages seem concerned a lot by this but I
have not used Guix enough to know if it is localized there or if it
is generalized. At least it is a risk I am just identifying on the
way Go packages are done (and makes me think about how we can evolve
go-build-system to avoid this).

I am not sure about what to do with that but reading this makes me feel
less alone.

François