Re: Packaging Golang programs

From: Ekaitz Zarraga
Subject: Re: Packaging Golang programs
Date: Fri, 07 May 2021 09:26:26 +0000

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, April 30, 2021 3:24 PM, Formbi <formbi@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm trying to package Protonmail's proton-bridge, which is written in Go. In
> most cases, it's quite easy to import a package or write the definition
> manually. However, some packages are made of sub-packages and the build
> system says, for example:
>
> can't load package: package golang.org/x/mobile: no Go files in (…)
>
> Those packages are referenced as whole, though. If the sub-packages (with
> #:unpack-path) are needed, they don't really work either. For example
> github.com/shurcooL/httpfs/vfsutil in the test suite can't find itself:
>
> package github.com/shurcool/httpfs/vfsutil_test
> imports github.com/shurcooL/httpfs/vfsutil: cannot find package
> "github.com/shurcooL/httpfs/vfsutil" in any of:
> /gnu/store/y5rwacd5l4q26pxis28wsmswj2603hkw-go-1.14.15/src/github.com/shurcooL/httpfs/vfsutil
>  (from $GOROOT)
> /tmp/guix-build-go-github-com-shurcool-httpfs-vfsutil-0.0.0-20190707220628-8d4bc4ba7749.drv-0/src/github.com/shurcooL/httpfs/vfsutil
>  (from $GOPATH)
> FAIL github.com/shurcool/httpfs/vfsutil [setup failed]
> FAIL
>
> Disabling the tests doesn't suffice here, because after it «builds», it can't
> be found by a package which needs it. Could you please give me some
> directions?
>
> Kind regards.

Hi,

I've been waiting until you got an answer here but seems you're
out of luck.

I'm writing just to tell you that I had the same issue in the
past, trying to package the same exact thing and I was unable to
solve it.

You have my solidarity at least.

That being said, we can join forces and make this package.

I'll ping some people in Guix's IRC to see if someone can help.
It is true that Go programs are pretty crazy with dependencies...

Sorry for the late response.

Best,
Ekaitz