Re: Guix System definition with a .emacs.d filled

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Guix System definition with a .emacs.d filled
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 10:06:10 -0400

Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <jeremy@korwin-zmijowski.fr> writes:

> Dear Guixters,
>
> Maybe I am asking too much to Guix haha. Maybe I don't.
>
> So. Here is what I intend to do :
>
> I want to write a Guix System definition that puts a .emacs.d directory
> inside /root which is "usable". I don't feel the need to create a
> regular user (I don't fear too much damages inside a disposable VM
> context).
>
> So I tried two options :
>
> First, using an extra-special-file
>
>    (extra-special-file "/root/.emacs.d"
>                        (local-file "emacs.d" #:recursive? #t))
>
> But the resulting .emacs.d is put into the store and is not writable.

This is by design I believe.  Any item in the store is NOT writable.
Anything configured with guix is meant to be static, declarative,
reproducible, NOT updated-able.  :)

Though it's possible that you are trying to do something that I just do
not understand.  This is most likely the case.  You seem like a genius.
:)

> Second, using skeletons
>
>    (skeletons `((".emacs.d" ,(local-file "emacs.d" #:recursive? #t))))
>
> But it seems it populate only regular users home directory. /root is
> left empty.
>
> Perhaps the issue is the local-file.
> Perhaps I could change the resulting extra-special-file permissions if
> it does not mess up the store.
> Or perhaps I could create a regular user.
>
> What would be "the way" ? haha

If you want a write-able /root/.emacs.d/  I would recommend starting
Emacs as root.  That would do the job for you.  :)

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus