Re: freecad 19.1 / flatpak

From: Ekaitz Zarraga
Subject: Re: freecad 19.1 / flatpak
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 09:46:02 +0000

Hi there,

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 11:15 AM, Christophe Pisteur
<christophe.pisteur@fsfe.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After having failed to install freecad from an Appimage on guix system
> (1), a new version of freecad (freecad 19.1) has just been realised and
> proposed on flathub (2).
>
> Unfortunately, the addon manager does not work with this version of
> freecad on flathub on guix system. But it is in the addons that we find
> one of the main functions until a mature version can be included in the
> main project: the assembly modules (A2+, Assembly2, Assembly4).
>
> Here are the error messages:
>
> 1.  When launching freecad from terminal:
>     $ flatpak run org.freecadweb.FreeCAD
>     FreeCAD 0.19, Libs: 0.19R14555 (Git shallow)
>     © Juergen Riegel, Werner Mayer, Yorik van Havre and others 2001-2021
>     FreeCAD is free and open-source software licensed under the terms of
>     LGPL2+ license.
>     FreeCAD wouldn't be possible without FreeCAD community.
>

> ##### #### ###
>
> # # # #
>
> ========
>
> ## #### #### # # # #
>
> =====================
>
> #### # # # # # # # ##### #
>
> # #### #### # # # #
>
> ====================
>
> # # # # # # # # ## ##
>
> ======================
>
> # #### #### ### # # #### ## ##
>
> ===============================
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/app/freecad/Mod/Tux/NavigationIndicatorGui.py", line 55, in
> changeEvent
> onTooltip()
> NameError: name 'onTooltip' is not defined
> connect failed: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
>
> 2) When you click on the "install" button from the addon manager:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/app/freecad/Mod/AddonManager/addonmanager_workers.py", line
> 769, in run
> repo = git.Repo.clone_from(self.repos[idx][1], clonedir)
> File "/app/lib/python3.8/site-packages/git/repo/base.py", line 1032,
> in clone_from
> return cls._clone(git, url, to_path, GitCmdObjectDB, progress,
> multi_options, **kwargs)
> File "/app/lib/python3.8/site-packages/git/repo/base.py", line 973,
> in _clone
> finalize_process(proc, stderr=stderr)
> File "/app/lib/python3.8/site-packages/git/util.py", line 329, in
> finalize_process
> proc.wait(**kwargs)
> File "/app/lib/python3.8/site-packages/git/cmd.py", line 408, in wait
> raise GitCommandError(self.args, status, errstr)
> git.exc.GitCommandError: Cmd('git') failed due to: exit code(128)
> cmdline: git clone -v https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Assembly4
> /home/christophe/.FreeCAD//Mod/Assembly4
> stderr: 'Cloning into '/home/christophe/.FreeCAD//Mod/Assembly4'...
> fatal: unable to find remote helper for 'https'
>
> I tried with several addons: same results.
>
> Any Idea?
>
> Christophe

> [...]

According to a random blogpost in the wild you can see this:
https://blog.hostonnet.com/git-unable-to-find-remote-helper-for-https

Looks like your git is not installed with SSL support. Probably
the package comes with its own git and it's not capable enough.

Try to install it separately or something. I'm not sure if
flatpak is going to use it or not, because I have no idea about
how flatpak works, but the problem you have is because of the
git version your freecad is using.

Hope that helps,

Ekaitz