Re: Two more computers unable to start X with GDM

From: Gary Johnson
Subject: Re: Two more computers unable to start X with GDM
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 10:32:49 -0400

Yasuaki Kudo <yasu@yasuaki.com> writes:

> I read a little bit about the current state of video cards, etc - man
> this seems like an uphill battle😅 Basically no manufacture
> sympathizes with the concept of total transparency.

I've always had good luck using linux-libre with Intel integrated
graphics controllers.

> I was just thinking what the practical end-game of this might be - do
> you think at some point there will be an FPGA+power+various I/O ports
> kit that can be totally programmed to provide CPU and video
> acceleration? Something like that might be the only way to end this
> nonsense😅

I like to buy my laptops from ThinkPenguin. All of the computers they
sell work out of the box with linux-libre. I'm, of course, running Guix
System on one of their laptops right now.

  https://www.thinkpenguin.com/

Happy hacking,
  Gary

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.