Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually

From: jbranso
Subject: Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 23:05:00 +0000

March 21, 2021 6:31 PM, "Bone Baboon" <bone.baboon@disroot.org> wrote:

> I am trying to start `xorg` from the Linux console virtual terminal 1
> (vt1) using `xinit`. I have not got `xorg` working yet and would
> appreciate any assistance.

May I ask why you are trying to manually run xinit?  Is your favorite wm
or desktop environment not packaged as a service in Guix?  Ahh, I see you
are just trying to start Emacs.  Very awesome!

If all you are wanting is to use Emacs, you could always just launch Emace
from the virtual console, and not have mouse support.

> CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
> GPU: AMD ATI 05:00.0 Picasso

Maybe you're running into linux-libre GPU isses.  I think the AMD graphics
cards prefer to use some binary blobs to operate properly...

> I have installed `xorg-server`, `xinit`, `xf86-video-ati`,
> `xf86-video-fbdev`, `xf86-video-vesa` and `emacs`.

Though I thought xf86-video-vesa was supposed to run on almost anything.