Re: Export PDFs in Emacs Org

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Export PDFs in Emacs Org
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 16:57:31 +0100

Hi Phil,

> But there is conflicting advice over what packages should or shouldn't
> be installed typically some combinaton of:
> texlive-base, texlive-bin, texlive-latex-base, texlive-latext-font
>
> The latest advice seems to be the only texlive-base should be necessary
> and installing others will cause an issue - with that in mind I
> attempted the below, but got a new failure.

“texlive-base” is certainly not sufficient for any real world LaTeX
document.  It contains what LaTeX developers consider the base set of
files (i.e. texlive-latex-base), texlive-bin (which provides the
executables), and LaTeX packages from the “required” set.

Since it already contains texlive-bin, texlive-latex-base, and
texlive-fonts-latex it is correct that you won’t need to explicitly
install those.

Dependent on the needs of your document, though, you will need to
install more packages that are not part of the “required” set (even
though other distributions may have them installed for convenience).
Exactly what those are is a little tricky to find out.  I usually go by
error messages and then look up the files it complains about in $(guix
build texlive-bin)/share/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb.

> The org file exports without issue in Ubuntu 18.04 with the following
> (which may be more than I need):
> sudo apt-get install texlive-latex-base texlive-fonts-recommended
> texlive-fonts-extra texlive-latex-extra emacs python3 python3-pygments

Note that the Ubuntu package called texlive-latex-base likely doesn’t
correspond to the package of the same name in Guix.

> Any ideas what the minimum Guix package set is (or even a carpet-bomb
> approach with a meta-package would be OK)?

Depends on the document, really.  Let me look at the errors.

> ! I can't find file `ecrm1000'.

This is a font provided by the old-style “texlive-fonts-ec” package.

(In the past I worked on and off to replace old-style packages with
corrected versions that actually contain *all* files that the texlive
tlpdb mentions, but I can no longer justify spending time on this kind
of work.)

--
Ricardo