Re: Is there something similar to nix overlays in guix?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Is there something similar to nix overlays in guix?
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 13:04:15 +0100

Hi!

On 2021-03-11 12:05, Adonay Felipe Nogueira via wrote:
I don't know the specifics of the non-free software Nix

Nix is completely Free software, released under the Lesser GNU General Public Licence version 2.1. So is nixpkgs, its official MIT-licenced collection of package definitions. (Guix combines both concepts into one repository.)

You might be confusing 'non-free' with 'does not follow GNU's Free Software Distribution Guidelines' (FSDG), a much stricter set of additional rules that dictate what every single installable package is allowed to be and do.

Nix/nixpkgs/NixOS have not opted to follow these unrelated rules; GNU Guix have. Both projects are Free software.

Both must therefore grant you the freedom to run non-free software; Nix makes this more convenient.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.