EDK2 support Was: Another Raspberry Pi data point

From: raingloom
Subject: EDK2 support Was: Another Raspberry Pi data point
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 06:12:27 +0100

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 19:24:36 -0600
"Jonathan Marsden" <jmarsden@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> As I understand it, aarch64 SBCs each have their own different, not
> yet standardized, boot processes, so unlike common x86-64 "PC"
> machines, there is a need for boot definition work that is
> board-specific.

There is actually a standard-ish way: UEFI.
I've had some luck using EDK2 on my RPi 3 B+, but only with a third
party binary. It could indeed boot generic aarch64 Debian.
My channel has an old experimental and broken description of it, but
the licensing of the modules necessary to build EDK2 for the Pi3
specifically is unclear to me. Certainly some nonfree assets there, but
I'm not sure if they are all absolutely necessary, or if they are
actually binaries or just nonfree source code.

Channel:
https://git.sr.ht/~raingloom/guix-packages

Look in the raingloom/packages/bootloaders.scm