flatpak applications in the gnome applications menu (XDG_DATA_DIRS)

From: Christophe Pisteur
Subject: flatpak applications in the gnome applications menu (XDG_DATA_DIRS)
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2021 19:59:32 +0100

Hello,

I installed Element (1) by flatpak, but applications installed by
Flatpak do not appear on the gnome desktop applications menu (even
after reboot).

When I run Element through the terminal, I get the following message:

$ flatpak run im.riot.Riot
Note that the directories
'/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share''/home/christophe/.local/share/flatpak/
exports/share'
are not in the search path set by the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment
variable, soapplications installed by Flatpak may not appear on your
desktop until thesession is restarted.
/home/christophe/.var/app/im.riot.Riot/config/Element exists:
yes/home/christophe/.var/app/im.riot.Riot/config/Riot exists:
noStarting auto update with base URL:
https://packages.riot.im/desktop/update/Auto update not supported on
this platform
Note that the directories
'/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share''/home/christophe/.local/share/flatpak/
exports/share'
are not in the search path set by the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment
variable, soapplications installed by Flatpak may not appear on your
desktop until thesession is restarted.
Error getting the event index passphrase out of the secret store
[Error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown]

what should I do?

thank you in advance,

Christophe

(1) https://element.io/