Re: Output all dependencies recursively for package

From: Phil
Subject: Re: Output all dependencies recursively for package
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 19:36:55 +0000

Thanks for all the responses on this.

In short - yes this does the job.  I should really write it in Guile:
guix refresh –list-transitive my-pkg | cut -d':' -f2 | tr ' ' '\n' | grep
python | sort

I have a guix package that had originally been deployed with a python
requirements file to create a venv.

I was curious to see that, if I matched the versions in the requirements
file, in my guix package what the full set of dependent python packages
would be (i.e. those returned by pip freeze).

Obviously there are some mismatched because pip often only gives
requirements as a lower bound, where any given version of guix will
typically only contain a single current version of a package.

The specific weirdness I was looking at was my guix setup seemed to have
installed both tornado5 and tornado6 python packages packages - a situation
that can't
happen in pip!

I was toying with writing a pkg2reqs.scm which would produce a python
requirements file from a Guix package.  I found it particularly useful to
create this manually when trying to decide if my move to Guix had issues
due to a slight version mismatch between PyPi and Guix,  or something
else.