Re: efi dual boot issue

From: jbranso
Subject: Re: efi dual boot issue
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 02:22:04 +0000

Hello,

What kind of hardware do you have?  Laptop? Desktop?  What processor?

That kind of information would be helpful.

Also, note that I have never dual booted GNU/Linux and windows.  I just use
GNU.  I think your problem amounts to configuring the bootloader section
in config.scm incorrectly.

There are two ways to boot up a computer: bios mode or EFI.

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#Manual-Installation

Note: Unsure whether to use EFI- or BIOS-based GRUB? If the directory
/sys/firmware/efi
exists in the installation image, then you should probably perform an EFI
installation,
using grub-efi-bootloader. Otherwise you should use the BIOS-based GRUB, known
as
grub-bootloader. See Bootloader Configuration, for more info on bootloaders.

When you boot up the installation image does the director "/sys/firmware/efi"
exist?  If so, then you are booting via EFI, and you should follow the
directions
in the manual via EIF installation:  namely you need an EFI partition:

mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/sda1;

And you need to specify this EFI partition in your config.com:

(file-system
   (type "vfat")
   (mount-point "/boot/sda1")
   (device "/dev/sda1"))

And you need to use the EFI bootloader in config.scm:

 (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
                (target "/boot/efi")))

If this is a bios only install, then you need to use the bios bootloader in
your config:

(bootloader-configuration
  (bootloader grub-bootloader)
  (target "/dev/sda"))