Re: stumpwm contrib modules have been broken

From: Guillaume Le Vaillant
Subject: Re: stumpwm contrib modules have been broken
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 11:36:46 +0100

Guillaume Le Vaillant <glv@posteo.net> skribis:

> Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> Sometime recently, the way Common Lisp code is compiled was changed (for
>> the better, I think), and now my StumpWM contrib modules won't load.
>> Here's why:
>>
>> StumpWM looks[1] for .asd files to determine what is a module. Guix's
>> Common Lisp build system used to combine an entire system into a single
>> .fasl file and then produce a .asd file for loading it. Now -- as far as
>> I can tell -- it looks like `lib/common-lisp/sbcl` is more like the
>> Common Lisp cache: one .fasl file per .lisp file.
>>
>> If I point StumpWM at `lib/common-lisp/sbcl` via `set-module-dir`, it
>> finds no modules. If I point StumpWM at `share/common-lisp/sbcl`, it
>> finds modules, tries to compile them, and then gives me a permissions
>> error about writing to the `/gnu` store.
>>
>> Is anyone using StumpWM contrib modules successfully with Guix's new
>> layout? How?
>>
>> [1] - https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm/blob/master/module.lisp#L70
>
> Hi,
>
> In my StumpWM init file, I use '(asdf:load-system ...)' instead of
> '(load-module ...)' to load the contrib modules that are installed in my
> Guix profile, and it works.
>
> I'll see if I can find a combination 'set-module-dir' and
> 'add-to-load-path' that makes the 'load-module' function work
> correctly...

With the following near the top of my StumpWM init file, the
'load-module' function works like 'asdf:load-system':

(let* ((guix-profile (pathname-as-directory (getenv "GUIX_PROFILE")))
       (module-dir (merge-pathnames "share/common-lisp/sbcl/" guix-profile)))
  (set-module-dir module-dir))

(load-module "ttf-fonts")