Re: EXWM: file or program not found, ls

From: Vladimir Sedach
Subject: Re: EXWM: file or program not found, ls
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2021 13:56:00 -0800

Olivier Rojon <o.rojon@posteo.net> writes:
> Any help or pointer is greatly appreciated. I hope I have provided
> the necessary information, otherwise feel free to ask.

The first thing to verify is that your login shell configuration
(.bashrc or .profile) is set up with the proper PATH, etc. The
defaults are.

> Then I was told to "source /etc/profile" from a file such as .xinitrc
> / .xsessions, which I tried but which also didnt work because gdm
> stayed in place via the system configuration (there has been a
> helpful HOWTO by Alex Kost, which I might try as well if nothing else
> helps).

It is a little suspicious that gdm does not load the defaults for a
session. What happens if you create a new user and try to log in as
that user?

To configure the X login session, file is ~/.xsession and it should
be set to be executable. Almost all X Window System distributions and
session managers are set up to use this file (some of them require
the file to be executable), and I assume gdm does as well (I run
slim-service-type as my session manager on Guix System).

Here is what my ~/.xession looks like:

. ~/.profile
. ~/.xinitrc

Instead of repeating the environment variable setup (sourcing
/etc/profile, etc.) for X, you can source your shell configuration
file.

.xinitrc is there to load any X specific configuration (keyboard,
etc) and to start the window manager.

Note that this is not Guix or EXWM specific, it is an X configuration
issue. I use the same .xsession on Debian and OpenBSD (which is one
of the reasons why I use a custom one).

--
Vladimir Sedach
Software engineering services in Los Angeles https://oneofus.la