Re: How to configure emacs for editing config.scm again?

From: znavko
Subject: Re: How to configure emacs for editing config.scm again?
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2021 21:36:18 +0000

Hi! guile-studio has two windows with guile command-line shell,
that is too much for my tiny wish.

I finally made config with two things I wished:
1) auto parentheses completion
2) highlight parentheses.

When the first task was not so difficult, as instructions here
were exact:
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ParEdit

For guix I installed emacs-paredit:

# guix install emacs-paredit

and added some lines into /root/.emacs

(Want to note that my /root/.emacs.d/init.el did not do
any sense I do not know its features in guix, need always
to use ~/.emacs)

Then the solution of the second task laid through
ugly page, where everything not works at all!!
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighlightParentheses

"highlight-parentheses is part of ELPA that goes with
emacs out of the box since 24-th version" said there.
Not works with the error that highlight-parentheses-mode is unknown.

Also I downloaded highlight-parentheses.el from the link on that page
and tried to include it into .emacs. "Not for you in this life!" was the
true main idea of all those recommendations.

But in happy end I found "Show Paren Mode":
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ShowParenMode
that works nice with only lines in my .emacs and also some color editing.

I attach my .emacs
# cp ~/.emacs /home/bob/znavko-.emacs

This line:

(setq show-paren-style 'expression)

highlights the whole expression with grey color:

(set-face-background 'show-paren-match "#efefef")

I do that just for editing my system's config.scm
for experiments with sudo.
I'd wish "Perfect Installation" section
in the Guix Manual includes more about emacs config.

Thanks.