Re: Install `guix pull'ed Guix to target partition on system install

From: Carlo Zancanaro
Subject: Re: Install `guix pull'ed Guix to target partition on system install
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 22:51:39 +1100

Hi Simon!

On Tue, Dec 22 2020, zimoun wrote:
It is.  If you do:

  (live) guix pull
  (live) guix system init

then it appears expected to install what the system describes *and* the current guix used to install them. Therefore, after reboot, the first “guix pull” will not fetch all the substitutes Guix requires, because you already did.

Part of the issue here is that "guix system init" installs into the system the version of Guix that the "guix" package refers to, which is always older than the version that you are using to do the installation. The "guix" package points to a specific commit (4f621a2b003e85d480999e4d0630e9dc3de85bc3 in my current guix version) which must have come prior to the commit of the guix that is running (which for me is 5795f566fae85023c6be86fe62388c29e6ac5c51).

This also means that the installed system doesn't include the installed channels in the system Guix, as the Guix version referenced by the "guix" package does not include any external channels.

Other said,

  (live) guix pull
  (live) guix describe
  (live) guix system init
  (live) reboot
  (real) login as root
  (real) guix describe

The 2 ’describe’ should be the same commit and apparently they are not.

This expectation is wrong. The two "describe"s should return different commits, and the second one should be earlier than the first.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a solution to the issue Pierre has raised.

Carlo