Re: Emacs 27.1 crashes on input method selection

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: Emacs 27.1 crashes on input method selection
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 11:09:02 +0100

Hello Mei Yu,

On 12/21/20 4:57 AM, Peng Mei Yu wrote:
> Hi Zelphir,
>
> Zelphir Kaltstahl writes:
>
>> I installed Emacs 27.1. via GNU Guix and I found one action, which
>> always crashes Emacs in this version, while it did not do that before:
>>
>> M-x set-input-method RET chinese-py RET
>>
>> It crashes completely and shows no error, simply goes down. Am I the
>> only one? Does it happen for anyone else? I am assuming, that this only
>> happens with the GNU Guix installed version of Emacs, but have not
>> tested that.
>>
>> My system is a Trisquel 8 on an X200.
> I don't know what is the cause here.  `set-input-method chinese-py` in
> Emacs installed via guix works for me on both Guix System and NixOS.
>
> By the way, if you are interested in Chinese input method, I suggest you
> try pyim and emacs-rime.  As a native Chinese, I can confidently say
> these two packages are far more better than the built-in chinese-py.  No
> Chinese emacs user uses chinese-py to input Chinese characters.
>
> https://github.com/tumashu/pyim
> https://github.com/DogLooksGood/emacs-rime

Thanks for the advice! I have not tried other input methods in Emacs yet
and always took it as sort of a challenge to having to know the actual
character, to be able to write Chinese in Emacs :D On one hand it puts
the last used characters to the front, but on the other hand it does not
do much more than that. Its simplicity is sometimes a help, but also
often not very helpful.

I will give your suggestions a try later.

谢谢 and 祝好,
Zelphir

--
repositories: https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl