Re: guix pull fails because substitution fails

From: Thorsten Wilms
Subject: Re: guix pull fails because substitution fails
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 19:14:45 +0100

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 14:24:09 +0100
zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> On my machine,
>
>   guix time-machine --commit=9fe5bb7 \
>        -- pull --commit=b828057 -p /tmp/new
>
> works.  What does it say on your machine?

Didn’t try that: After several days of always the same failure, `guix
pull` is suddenly working again. So if this comes down to a networking
issue, I wonder what went wrong for several days that did not affect
any other service.

> Ouch!  what I was in mind is that you GC time to time and not keep all
> these versions. :-) For example, “guix pull --delete-generations=6m”
> to keep only the last 6 months generations.  Then the next “guix gc”
> will remove all these old generations; well if you never roll-back to
> them.

This is a bit embarrasing: I have been using `guix package
--delete-generations; guix gc --collect-garbage` frequently and up to
this day did not realize that there’s another “level”, which can be
dealt with via `guix gc --delete-generations`.

Many thanks for your help, simon!

--
Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de>