Re: How to reconfigure system without downloads I did not order?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: How to reconfigure system without downloads I did not order?
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 13:14:21 +0100

Hullo znavko,

znavko--- via 写道:
I am sorry. How to prevent the process of system upgrade and just remain things as they are but only adding new disk to my system?

Guix can't upgrade your system, it can only build a new one. It will merely re-use parts of the old system that they have in common (which can be and often is ‘almost everything’).

This is actually significant: you can't ask a new Guix to modify an older Guix's system, to leave everything in place but just add this one small thing, like you can for bare profiles. For that, you need to reconfigure the old system with the same version of Guix that was used to build it.

What do

 $ guix system describe

and

 $ guix describe

say? My guess is they will both display a different commit because you've ‘guix pull’ed after creating the system. If so, you can use

$ guix time-machine --commit=<system commit> -- system reconfigure …

to apply your changes.

If the system and guix commits *do* match and you've added nothing besides a new FILE-SYSTEM, I have no idea why Guix is (re-)building ffmpeg. An overzealous ‘guix gc’ in the meantime?

Kind regards,

T G-R