Re: What is 'Linux home' filesystem type in fdisk ?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: What is 'Linux home' filesystem type in fdisk ?
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 12:58:44 +0100

Heyo znavko,

znavko--- via 写道:
And I want to know what is '28 Linux home' file system?

It's one of those systemd-only ‘standards’[0] (hence the ‘Linux’ misnomer).

Can I use it?

Yes, these subtypes are mostly ignored and treated as equivalent the regular ‘20 Linux filesystem’ type. I don't know what happens with software that predates/ignores this ‘standard’.

Their only use outside of systemd is to provide a hint for humans. For example, I use ‘Linux root (x86-64)’ for my root partition because ‘fdisk’ doesn't show partition labels by default.

Which advantages will I get with it instead of using usual '20 Linux filesystem'?

None.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/DiscoverablePartitionsSpec/