Re: Port forwarding for Guix containers

From: Bonface M. K.
Subject: Re: Port forwarding for Guix containers
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 21:44:08 +0300

"Zhu Zihao" <all_but_last@163.com> writes:

> Hi, Guix users!
>

> I found guix container "created by `guix
> environment --container` or `guix system
> container`" is very useful to isolate some
> service. But it only supports fully isolated
> network namespace or just share with host, it's
> not so safe IMO.
>

> In Docker, there's port forwarding, allows you to
> share some ports of Guix container with host. I
> just learn something about docker's network
> mechanism, it looks quite complicated. It use veth
> pair, network bridge and even iptables. Is there
> some idiomatic way to implement such port
> forwarding feature for Guix containers?
>

> Any answer or suggestions are appreicated.

I don't know if this is helpful, but you could
start a container with network access by passing
the "-N" flag. Here's an example:

./pre-inst-env guix environment -N --ad-hoc wget -- wget "some-url"

I don't know if this is feasible, but you could
try using some third party tool to limit ports
from _inside_ the container...

HTH!

--
Bonface M. K. <https://www.bonfacemunyoki.com>
Chief Emacs Bazu / Rieng ya software sare