Guidance required, Using guix or GNU/Linux, for secrecy, privacy.

From: Aniket Patil
Subject: Guidance required, Using guix or GNU/Linux, for secrecy, privacy.
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 17:15:03 +0530

Hi,

"I asked this question on guix-devel, as per suggestions I got over there,
I am asking it again on help-guix".

I don't know whether is this mailing list is appropriate to talk about this
subject or not, but I am going forward, please don't get me wrong.

I have been following Richard M. Stallman, Eric S. Raymond, Arron Swartz
for a long time. I know how to use and secure myself pretty much I would
say. But I don't feel secure and have that reliance on the internet while
using it. So I got X200 librebooted it, still using some proprietary wifi
card, hence non-free distro like arch is my main OS. I want to get rid of
this Google thing, I do have protonmail account, but I don't think that is
reliable either. Recently, I read zimouns vlog

" right, Google is evil, but the storage and the search features are really
useful. So, I am thinking to switch to notmuch <https://notmuchmail.org/>,
but not enough time to configure it, yet. "

So, is notmuch is reliable?

I get paranoid after reading RMS, or Snowden. I think a lot about my
privacy and others as well. Hence I am asking this, and participating in
GNU projects and Free Software Projects. So coming to the point.

How to or which email client shall I use or email service?

Recently I was browsing on TOR but I guess even TOR exposes my IP address
on the internet. So shall I use it with a VPN? If So Which VPN? I know
about WireGuard but it has a GPL2 license, not GPL3.

What else can I do to secure myself?

TL;DR Just read the last questions.

Aniket.