Re: Submitting new packages

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Submitting new packages
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 06:37:17 -0500

Le 5 novembre 2020 06:03:18 GMT-05:00, "Barnabás Béres"
<beresbarnus03@gmail.com> a écrit :
>Hey Guixers,
>
>I’m quite new to Guix but I would like to contribute. I created two
>font packages (fort awesome and nerd fonts). Can you please help my how
>can send in and later maintain my packages?

Hi Barnabás!

If you're talking about font-awesome, we already have it (although version 4,
since version 5's build system is not free: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/32916)

Now, for patches. You need to clone the git repository, apply your changes.
When adding packages make sure to create one commit per added package. You'll
find examples of such commits in the history. The message should look like
this, on two lines with a blank line in the middle:

gnu: Add foo.

* gnu/packages/foo.scm (foo): New variable.

Once you've added a package to a file, build your package with ./pre-inst-env
guix build foo, lint it with ./pre-inst-env guix lint foo and commit.

You can generate a patch with git format-patch -1 (or -2 for the latest two
commits, etc). Then send that (those) file(s) to guix-patches@ and wait for a
bit until someone reviews it (them).

The manual has this page that you might find useful:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html#Submitting-Patches

Don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions or if that was confusing :)