Re: Some (little) problems about contributing to the translation of guix

From: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas
Subject: Re: Some (little) problems about contributing to the translation of guix-manual
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 20:42:05 +0100

Hi, Hubert!

Hubert Lombard <contact@hubert-lombard.website> writes:
> I tried this but it seems that my configuration is not the same as
> yours, since I'm not even sure I have the Git source code (My
> installation of Guix System was done by the iso image).

I supposed you have a clone of the repository, if not you need these two
extra steps (I suppose you don't even have Git in your profile[1], just
a running guix installation):

$ guix environment --ad-hoc git -- git clone
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
$ cd guix

And then the steps from my last mail. :-)

> It's true, Ludo, Simon, Julien and others have done an excellent job,
> which I can refer to for a few questions I have.
>
> In addition, I expect to be able to advance a little more in the
> translation work before submitting it, the next release 1.2.0 being
> planned for early November.

I'm sure you'll advance more, just wanted to ensure. :-)

>> I don't know how perform poedit and gtranslator at this, but seeing
>> the actual .po (as with po-mode with emacs) eases a lot the cleanup
>> of fuzzy translations first, because you can spot the difference
>> between the old and new msgids---note to writers, please keep the
>> paragraphs short:)---and apply just that to the text when it's
>> needed, as sometimes the translation didn't have a typo at all.
>
> In the past, with debian or ubuntu, I had tried to use emacs but I
> understood absolutely nothing about it. I'm tempted to try again soon,
> especially with the po-mode...

Po-mode is easy... once you get the key bindings, hehehe.  'f' (fuzzy),
'u' (untranslated), RET (edit the current translation, open an Emacs
window) and 'C-c C-c' (accept the translation, close the Emacs window).
Upper case letters for the reverse order... And the rest are
nice-to-have features, like 'V' to execute msgfmt and so on.

Best regards,
Miguel

[1] I personally recommend you to use in your daily work git or any
other VCS: they are very useful tools, help to avoid lots of problems
and aren't really hard to use for an only-forward workflow (save =
commit), which is a real life saver sometimes.