Re: guix environment ad-hoc manifests

From: Reza Alizadeh Majd
Subject: Re: guix environment ad-hoc manifests
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 11:05:41 +0330

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 17:16:21 +0200
Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> > yes, a possible use-case would be to provide a development
> > environment for a software which is not packaged yet. during
> > development phase, we could easily update this manifest file and
> > include third-parties we need to use.
>
> But isn’t this exactly what you can use a manifest file for already?
> “guix environment” not only accepts a file that describes a package,
> but also a manifest.

Thank you for your response, there is just a point that I don't
understand.

- when we add a package to environment, all of package inputs will be
added to the environment.
- using --ad-hoc switch, package itself will be present in environment.

now I want to know add a series of packages using --manifest, add them
directly to the environment (like --ad-hoc), or add inputs for each
package to environment?

Thanks
Reza

--